SAP’s, Specification, change, process, ECR/ECO, Pfizer, with, support, Document, control, Request, Label, across, Change, Shipper, Master, Portal, Labeling, Object, Info, Record, Project, process., Packaging, DCTM, enterprise, systems, integration, objects, Process
Location: SAP America Inc., Newtown Square, PA
Date: March 17, 2010
Pfizer’s Implementation of
ECM for Labeling and
Bob Woodward – Pfizer Inc.
Rakesh Shah – HCL-Axon Inc.
Pfizer – Who We Are
Pfizer is a global leader in pharmaceuticals, consumer health care products,
and animal health care products.
Pfizer has a long history of pioneering developments in pharmaceuticals
and biotechnology, with leading products in many areas.
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Some of our well-established product lines — Advil®, Centrum®, and
Robitussin® — are among the top 20 non-prescription medicines in the
Pfizer Animal Health
Animal Health offers a broad range of biological and pharmaceutical
products for the companion animal, equine, livestock, swine and poultry
• Master data replicated in multiple systems with manual
• Many disparate change processes and systems for Shipper
Case Labels, Specifications, BOMs, Artwork, and Labeling
• Legacy platform no longer supported and not integrated into
• Collaboration across operating units and divisions difficult
• Process Order Released before BOM and Packaging Specs are
• Institute worldwide labeling and packaging change control
• Visibility to the change process through out the life cycle.
• Integrate the Labeling and Packaging Divisions into a seamless
• Drive global standardization, and increase visibility to these
standards, in packaging and labeling across sites.
• Decrease complexity of current process and help ensure
• Consolidate information management in a single system
• SAP was designated as the system of record for data and
Documentum was designated as the system of record for
• Real-time integration of enterprise systems
• The Business required a web-based solution that was user
friendly and supported collaboration.
• SAP’s Engineering Change Request/Order process did not
support object management records for EH&S Specification
• SAP can be used to manage change control processes
across enterprise applications (SAP and Documentum)
• SAP Engineering Change Management (ECM) can be
delivered by SAP Portal to provide a seamless user
• SAP’s BW provides the capability to report across
enterprise systems with a consolidated view.
• SAP’s ECR/ECO function can be enhanced to support
EH&S objects and Object Dependency Checks as well as
process order release integration .
• SAP’s GLM module can be used to support Shipper Case
SAP Enterprise Portal 7.0 DCTM 5.3
EP 7 iViews – SAP ECC 6.0, NW 2004s BI
Notification / ECR / ECO 5.0
Bill of Materials
Solution Architecture for Integration
Integration via Web Services
WAS 6.40 BPM 5.3 WorkflowWebServices
Request to ECR to ECO
Web Request Process Notification WAS ECR/ECO Process R/3
Request Review Evaluate Authorize
Attach/Create Documents and Objects
Analyst Convertto ECO
Add Supporting Documents
Project Tracking and Reporting - BW
Managing Change Control Across Many Systems
• The complex nature of these changes required one system to
manage the process. SAP’s OTB functions for status
dependent change control provided the framework to manage
all of the objects across the enterprise systems.
• The use of SAP’s Document Info Record is used to represent
the document content stored in Documentum. We leveraged
‘Web Services’ in SAP and Documentum to enable the crosssystem integration.
SAP ECM and Enterprise Portal (EP)
• Initiated a stage gate process to manage and build the change
• The EP provides role based content based upon their job
function. Access to ECC 6.0 transactions, BSP applications,
Documentum iViews and BW reporting provided thru SAP’s EP.
• Utilized EP Universal Work List (UWL) to provide a common
inbox for SAP related work items.
• Built a common process which supports all of the operating
unit business functions.
– Consumer Health, Vaccines, Nutritionals, and
Pharmaceuticals will all use the same change request
process for packaging and labeling.
Labeling & Packaging Home Screen
Portal – Universal Work List
Request Form - Objects
ECR/ECO for Specification
ECR/ECO for Specification
SAP’s Netweaver platform
• Utilized SAP’s Web Application Server (WAS 6.40) to develop
Business Server Page (BSP) applications to front end the
change request process.
• Implemented Single Sign On to support the process.
• Provided an application frame work from which other change
control processes can leverage the building blocks.
• Enables integration to Documentum via Web Services.
Project Reporting via SAP BW
• SAP BW 7.0 used to support management reporting from both
SAP and Documentum.
• Provides an overview of the change control process and the
status of the objects at their various workflow states.
• Provides drill down capability to detailed change control
• Out of the Box integration into SAP’s EP allows the end users
to log in once to the Portal and have access to all of their
SAP’s ECR/ECO function can be enhanced to
support EH&S objects
• Enhanced the ECR/ECO transactions to support the EH&S
• Activated Specification view for the material master.
• Specification Master status driven workflow and digital
signature integrated with ECR/ECO process.
• Specification Master with linkage to the DIR.
• Utilize Windows Word Integrator (WWI) to automatically
generate various specification reports.
SAP’s GLM to Support Shipper Container Labeling
• Activated the Label Data view for the material master.
• Bar Code enabled through an Active-X product. (TEC-IT)
• Built label templates utilizing the WWI capability of EH&S,
including pulling data from Material Masters, Process Orders,
Specifications and calculation of the check digit.
Specification with Status Network & Change
Specification with Document Links
Robert Woodward – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rakesh Shah – email@example.com